Thursday, December 27, 2012

What is more important: to have or to be?

It has been  my food for thought for years. And now it's time to think about it.

Some people say that money is everything in our life. I think it is not as important as our friendship, freedom or hobbies. But can we realize our dreams without money? There is no real freedom without it. We can’t follow our hobbies if we don’t have money. If people earn money the right way , they know the real value of it. But some people become slaves to money, don’t they? . Money can’t bring happiness. And even rich people are not always really happy. I’m sure we’re never satisfied: we always think if we just had a little bit more money, we’d be happier. But when we get there, we aren’t. Indeed, the more we make, the more we want; the more we have, the less effective it is at brining us happiness. Besides, I think we overestimate how much pleasure we’ll get from having more, because we quickly adjust to it. More money  leads us to more stress: we keep comparing ourselves with “the family next door”. That means our sense of well-being is made by the fact how we stand relative to others. In such case, we may never turn happy, because there will always be someone who has more, better and so on. 

 I think the only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday. Because when you will try to be better than somebody, you will lose yourself. And you won’t be able to say this: «I am delighted that I am here now. I love everything that is around me. I love those who are nearby. And I'm satisfied that I’m just standing here and thinking about it.» Probably when you will realize this - you'll feel freedom and happiness, you'll be in tune with yourself. 

 That’s why I prefer to exist mostly in the «to be» mode, which is based on friendship, sharing, love and communication. And what do you think about it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment